Tuesday, June 22, 2010

To Market, To Market …

Today was the first farmers market of the season. Compared to the outdoor markets in bigger cities in the US and abroad, it’s tiny, but thoroughly delightful. I was pleasantly surprised by all that was on offer being so early in the growing season. There was plenty of spinach and an assortment of lettuce, but also turnips, beets, mushrooms, garlic, green onions, heirloom tomatoes, fresh dill and other herbs.




For the market, the city closes the street to traffic and white tents materialize in the place of parked cars. Every week a local string band or folksy singer lends a festive vibe to the event, something that is unique to our little market I think. I don’t ever recall seeing a band or musicians of any kind at markets in Europe. It seems like everyone there is seriously engaged in shopping for dinner, haggling over prices and getting on to the next errand at hand. I am happy we have a farmers market at all.

Photo credit:Glenwood Springs Chamber Resort Association





I can walk to the market from my house, just like my 86 year-old great-aunt Hedwig in Gerolzhofen, Germany continues to do to this day. I’ve been to the Marktplatz with her and she is the model of marketing efficiency. She knows the sellers, knows what she needs, doesn’t get distracted or pulled off-task by chatty neighbors. I am the opposite in every area – easily distracted by people and produce. With no plan in place here’s what I bought – an heirloom tomato, an English cucumber, ½ pound cherries and ½ pound assorted mushrooms. Assessing my haul, I think a Greek salad is on the lunch menu tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. I love the markets! There is one about 20km from me on Mondays and another 25km from me on Saturdays. I'm new to the region and think I'll have to start going to the Monday market each week to get to know the sellers and stalls, because at the moment I'm the opposite of efficient when I go! I wander aimlessly oohing and aahing at everything. One day, I'd like to be like your great-aunt... get in and get out!

    ReplyDelete